What the Hell happened????

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

Tattooz
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Tattooz »

ultimately its up to debs. but us agreeing that he would be a good choice does help.
Freeball

Post by Freeball »

Is it fair to say that the current Td performace shows a sheer lack of TD's hosting. I think we have to remember this system does not show all of the previous tournaments done on In-Stroke. Christ if it did Tattz would prob be in the thoudsands by now. I admititly do not host as much as i used to. Back in the day i did 2 every week for 2-3 years (I think) which included the Sunday Snooker. Im sure you remember them good old days 20+ sign ups not finishing till gone midnight etc etc. There were even times when there were 100+ in gamespy nowadays were lucky to have 20+. Yes the game is 7 years old look @ your computer/games and tell me another game of that age your still activly playing??????

I will not as most have said waste my time hosting piddly little tourneys. We must have a miniumum sign up to even consider the tournament else its finished before its begun.

To even consider using my own hard earned cash as an incentive as a prize of some description dont bare thinking about. Yes i love the game and ive been around longer than most but that does not mean i/we should have to bribe players to play. The Triathlon tourney where i was asking for an entrance fee was just to test the ground, and it proves that very few people will aagree to pay a signup fee (This would have gonr towards a prize of some description and also to towards the on going growth of the tournament ststem). So again why should we surrender a prize paid for by us????....

also to say we need more TD's hosting i find a joke at the moment. The Td's that are active are struggling to get tourneys off the ground now, what do you think it will be like if we get more TD's. On some occasions there are more TD's logged on than there are players....... I still agree though that Qstix should be made into a Td cause as he said he's here nigh on everyday and could very well contribute when there are no current active TD's available.

As much as i hate to say it, its gonna take a dirty great big WALLOP to the vp3 community to get the players interested again. We need something ie update to VP3 Gold (is this still on the horizon E.T.A)???? anything to give the Player's/TD's something to prepare for. All i see nowadays is games being made for the very lucrative console market.

This must be the longest post i've ever done and im sure not everyone will agree but hey ho!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed that sooner or later something changes!!!

I like Qstix apologise for any spelling mistakes above^^^^^^^^^^^

Freeball

Freeball
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Your talking sense Ron.

Plainly speaking,....right at this moment in time and in the months gone by,Ive been feeling its not worth a feck to spend any valuable time you have messing around with a lacklustre crowd in the lobby,

Money is a great incentive and unless Simon had a sign up link for tourneys that meant you could only access the sign up once youve donated your entrance fee through paypal....then money prizes has no hope.

To expect a TD....a volunteer......... to simply dish out his or her cash to a winner in a tourney who paid nothing to enter is a joke.

I keep saying the same thing.....variety and options need to be made available to the Tournament Director to offer much more choice to the players.
This could be done through a comprehensive revamp of the tourney system.Im not talking about tarting it up to look nicer.Im talking abut Simon adding multiple features to a new system...many of them posted on the forum by you guys out there.

If you build it....they will come.....If VP GOLD came out..essentially it would be a hardcore of VP3ers who would buy into that and we would have possibly a nicer looking game...but the same players playing it and the same tourney system to work with.
But thats all ifs and buts......what we have at the moment is a tired old game that needs replacing ....simple..but we have basically a game that physically doesnt need many major changes most would say.

The game market is as youve said mostly aimed towards consoles...so we just have to live with being in the minority Im afraid.
VP3 no matter what form it takes is still the best..we know that,but its up to Celeris when and as they see fit,to improve on it.....we wait with baited breath.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

It's interesting how the memory works.
Sometimes weeks appear like months and months appear like years when looking back.
Like Freeballs memory, who thinks he hosted 2 tourneys a week for 2-3 years, and that Tattooz hosted long before the current tourney system was implemented.
Freeball wrote:I admititly do not host as much as i used to.....
I will not as most have said waste my time hosting piddly little tourneys.
Not as much.. We have the 'new' tournament system since end of 2003. Since then you hosted 3 Tournaments.. :blah5:
http://www.vphqtournaments.com/admin/td_performance.asp

Tattooz isn't in the thousands either. She hosted her first tourney in February 2004, when we already had the current tournament system.
http://www.vphqtournaments.com/tourname ... es&page=85
(Tournament ID 234).
I don't think though, that anyone even in the 'very old days' has ever come close to the number of tourneys she hosted.
Respect for that!

Concerning the money tournaments:
I don't think it's a good idea to make people pay for entering tournaments.
I like Q-Stix idea. We should donate prizes.
And if I say we, I mean the folks in this community who have some money to spare, no matter if they are TDs or not.

I don't mind donating my 'hard-earned' money.
I already spend some of it to run the VP3Help website.
I'm thinking about a prize tournament that people can only enter if they have played in a given number of VPHQ tournaments in a given period.

For example:
Big tourney next Summer, 150$ (or more, but that's what I would donate) in prizes.
To be eligible to sign up you have to play in at least 30 VPHQ tournaments in an 8 month period.

I'm also thinking about something that is only open for active TDs, to make hosting more attractive, but don't have any concrete ideas yet.

Post by Freeball »

Thats it attack my memory. You clearly have not understood that the majority of tournaments i hosted were pre new system which i would also think is where most of yours were done.

:blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: :blah5:

But i dont have to justify myself to you or anyone else. Please go ahead and donate your own money lets see if that will help.

and theres that word again ACTIVE.

Maybe you could qoute some more.........
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Sophisticated Beggar »

Credit to Shaz to actually try something we suggested.
The schedule.

Although, Master had one schedule and cancelled again - 2 hours before it was due.

Anyway, Shaz had 3 tournaments and a day of 9 ball on the schedule and waited until the proposed start time, rather than cancel due to lack of interest 20-30mins early.

All of these tournaments went ahead with 9 or 10 players.

Now, the schedule is empty again.

How can we expect players to turn up when there is nothing on the schedule.

Like I said before, tournaments attract players, players attract tournaments.

Its either a negative downward spiral or a positive upward one. You choose.

EDIT: I'm not bothered about entrance fee tourneys either, but 11 votes for a 5 day poll is not a bad reply for a forum such as this.
Tattooz
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Tattooz »

Tone i agree, if the schedule shows tournys in advance then more people might show up. I will start putting mine on the schedule ahead of time, the way i used to. the only reason i havent been doing it lately (the last 2-3 months) is that i was having some pc issues. needing to shut down at the drop of a hat type of thing... still havent fixed it but o well.

the only time i have EVER canceled a tourny 2-3 hours or whatever before it started was when i had something important come up. otherwise i ALWAYS wait until the start time to see if i can get enough players.
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Sophisticated Beggar »

Yeah, Tatz I know. (I even remember you waiting sometimes after the start time until we had enough players.) You and Shaz do make the most out of the schedule out of all the TD's and hopefully now you're back it will fill up again, with the help of some other TD's.

Another thing to consider is that the very 1st link between players and the tournament system is the link when you 1st come into the lobby.

Players will always click a link when they see it (it's hard not to), but especially the 1st welcoming link. That's another good reason to have a busy schedule.

Maybe the schedule page (or even make a dedicated welcome page)...whatever it points to should also show a quick guide to VPHQ tournaments, stating what version, how to register etc etc, just to make things much easier for new players.
If that page also shows loads of tourneys due, it may invoke the feeling that they are missing out on something and start playing in them or even make 3099ers upgrade to DL version.

Some of the best times on VP3 are when we had 3, 4 or 5 tournaments a day (done by 6 or 7 TD's) and 63 tournaments on the tournament schedule. (I even remember the exact day!)
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Freeball wrote: and theres that word again ACTIVE.
Maybe you could qoute some more.........
ACTIVE as in running REGULAR tournaments in the PRESENT. :cheer:

If you run 3 tournaments in about 4 years you can't really make a point of not hosting future tournaments because of a lack of interest on the player's side #-o

Of course you don't have to justify yourself for not hosting. Neither do Satman or Polomint or all the others who are listed as TDs without hosting tournaments. It is voluntary and every TD can quit being a TD at any time.
Why not make a clean cut: If you aren't interested in running tournaments, resign and make room for somebody new.
I don't think that there is an unlimited number of VIP accounts that GS provides for VP3. If there are more VIPs than online players, then they most probably don't see the point of giving the VIP status to another one.
At least that's what I heard in the past.
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Sophisticated Beggar wrote:Credit to Shaz to actually try something we suggested.
The schedule.
Yeah! Thanks to everyone who uses the schedule.
I don't have much time to spend on VP3 anymore and I really appreciate if I can actually find a tourney to play in, without hanging out on GS for hours!