What the Hell happened????

General discussion for anything related to the Virtual Pool 3 DL game play including Career, Tournaments, Computer Opponents, Trick Shots, and Quick Play.

Moderator: 9balldotcom

BlackJagged
Bouncer
Bouncer

What the Hell happened????

Post by BlackJagged »

Over the past couple of weeks most players disappeared and now its impossible to find an opponent to play some DL game for most of the day. I know its summer right now and things on the net tend to be a little slow this season, but not as slow as this. What the hell happened to this community???

We have always been a small group for an online game, but until recently it was still workable....but now it seems the VP community is really dying.

WHAT HAPPENED?

Anything one could do about it?
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Funny, I think I've seen this post about 10 times in the last 6 years.
Here are the most common replies:

- "It's this time of the year" (fits for both, summer or the holiday season)
- "People have moved on to other things" (sure they do, I do other things every day!)
- "[insert name here] drove all regular players away" (that guy must be really powerful)
- "It's not the same as it used to be" (that was a popular answer 5 years ago)
- "People aren't interested in playing a [insert number] years old game" (2,3,4,5,6, soon to be 7)
Bouncer

Post by BlackJagged »

zwylle wrote:Funny, I think I've seen this post about 10 times in the last 6 years.
Im familiar with the up and down circles of online communities, I have an own one running and Im not hysteric about these things. But at least for the last three years, since Im on VP, the situation hasnt been as bad. Over long stretches of the day you cant play a DL game anymore, and it hasnt been like that before. Unfortunately this doesnt even seem to be a working community anymore else the forum would be used more.

Well, whatever...lets see what happens.
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Maybe there would be more folks on if someone hosted a tourney once in a while.. at least on the weekends.
I guess the TDs these days are 'honoris causa' and don't really have to host anymore..

Post by Albinario »

they get cancelled cause nobody signs up
Shaz{uk}
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Shaz{uk} »

Ok bri i explained in ur other post but i'll say it again here, there is'nt enough interest in tourneys, i have tried & will not do 1 with less than 6 players & i WONT beg for players to sign up, the lack of interest was going on long before hugh retired. Ive been a t.d. for over 2 yrs & only in the last few months have i had to cancel due to 30 or so people in gs but only 4 people sign up so i really dont no wot else we can do, me & marc have tried as we r the only active t.d.'s at the moment but no one wants any kind of tourney, even when the schedule is booked every day. We've got the 9 Ball Marathon on the 18th of August so we'll see wot happens then.
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Sophisticated Beggar »

I agree with cancelling of tourneys if there are not enough players, but TD's should wait until at least the time the tourney is supposed to start (i.e. not a half hour beforehand) as many like myself come on-line about 10 minutes before they are due to start. Like last night.
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

Shaz{uk} wrote:even when the schedule is booked every day.
It's been a long long time since the schedule has been booked every day. I'm not talking about weeks or months either.
Don't take this personally Shaz, you've done a great job, but there are 14 TD's.
M-aster_1989_de
Hustler
Hustler

Post by M-aster_1989_de »

Sophisticated Beggar wrote:.. but there are 14 TD's.

yes there are..... but none of them except of shaz and me want to host a tourney..
Oh Well!

best regards
Marc
------
GSA-names:
M-aster_1989[ger] to play tournaments
Master_1989[TD] to host tournaments
zwylle
Cuemaster
Cuemaster

Post by zwylle »

Albinario wrote:they get canceled cause nobody signs up
Yesterday and the week before I saw Saturday tourneys in the plan, but both times when I came online probably about 15 minutes before supposed start it was canceled.
After me other folks came to the lobby too, asking about the tourney.

If 6 players is not enough to get a reaction out of our current TDs, have Debi make Q-Stix a TD, I'm sure he will host anyways. And if people know it takes place they'll sign up too.
Hustler

Post by Shaz{uk} »

Last saturday i did cancel mainly coz of the final between stub & alin, and last nite i waited until 20 minutes before start time without 1 sign up & only a limited number people in gs, i'd like to host more but without the players its a bit of a waste of time. Not so long ago me & marc booked a week of tourneys & only managed to host roughly
3 out of 7 at the most coz of lack of interest so no matter wot me & marc try to do we are getting grief which i think is unfair ! Ok ive booked the schedule up to wednesday so lets see wot happens.
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

Shaz{uk} wrote:Ok ive booked the schedule up to wednesday so lets see wot happens.
Like I said, its nothing personal, I'm just trying to make sure that this is not the end of VP3 tournaments. Scheduling tournaments is a good step and I hope we get a positive reaction.
M-aster_1989_de wrote:yes there are..... but none of them except of shaz and me want to host a tourney..
It's good to see the 2 active TD's respond.

But if the players that want the tournaments don't speak up in here, how to we get the attention to the other 12?
Freeball

Post by Freeball »

Special tourney...

Round Robin "Triathlon" 8&9 Ball/Snooker Tourney
Info : http://celeris.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9717#9717
Poll : viewtopic.php?t=1465
M-aster_1989_de
Hustler
Hustler

Post by M-aster_1989_de »

gr8 idea
Oh Well!

best regards
Marc
------
GSA-names:
M-aster_1989[ger] to play tournaments
Master_1989[TD] to host tournaments
Tattooz
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Tattooz »

ive been away but i am back now and plan to host at least twice a week if i get enough people to sign up. Im not really interested in hosting a 5 or 6 player tournament tho. I will only be hosting when i get 8 + sign ups from now on. unless im just bored...

P.S. I fully agree on making Qstix a td
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

I couldn't make tonights tournaments but the 3 that where on the schedule all went ahead.

Good to see you back Tatz
Freeball

Post by Freeball »

Yes agreed qstix TD.......

Freeball
DARKH0RSE
Banger
Banger

Post by DARKH0RSE »

Il chuck my 2 pence in for all its worth, i agree with Q becoming a TD
people need to learn "its a game , and a game by definition can be either won or lost .
If you take away the ability to win or lose you are no longer playing a game and your time is not spent challenging your skill over another's instead your time is now worthless and wasted.
9balldotcom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 9balldotcom »

Someone better explain to Q first that any Tds are not obliged nor do they have any authority from gamespy to AWARD memberships to any part of gamespy.

That is unless he is volunteering to put up the cash to do so then thats fine.Actively donating to an improved tournament system would be my suggestion

Its all very well suggesting these things.....but as has been proved time and time again......many of you talk up how your going to change things when you become a TD....and like many of you in the past......you simply all piss off and cant be bothered after the novelty wears off.

Talk the talk when your making tourneys....then see if you can follow through on these great promises.

Yes all non hosting Tds should be dropped and got rid of,its only a lot of clutter.
If we get a more substantial and flexible tournament system,then that allows tds the options to expand game and tourney choice to players.
Dont forget we have lots of suggestions for a new tourney system and a few people, have already contributed to the funds for it.
Ive always felt that variety and new things are what draw people to play vp3 on a miore regular basis.

At this time things have gotten stale over the last number of months and you must also understand that its not very enjoyable for a td to waste their time being in the lobby,when players simply dont want to take part.

So a few people commenting on the forum about how bad its been without tourneys....do you really think thats going to change things??

Maybe for a short time.....cos some folks come out of the woodwork for a week or two......then they drift away again.....cos theres nothing new on offer and as some say,its the same people winning tourneys again.

Theres plenty of thoughts and reasons and excuses over the periods of time this happens.
Yes the game is nearly 7 years old....how many people know about it>?
How many come to the lobby on 3099? how many of them change to 3239? blah blah blah.

New choices bettter tourney options....new and reliable tds and most important too having tourneys the same night regularly each week.
Leagues were the best thing that happened to vp3 although it was obviously a pain for Satman having to deal with them that gave up during the league season...just gave him hassle...who is to blame there??? the players for signing up and wasting his time.

Does someone try and revive the VIP LADDER>>

How many 3099 players in the lobby have picked up their copied version of vp3...find they cant play in tourneys.....and arent aware they could at least maybe play VIP matches.

How many know that gamespy arena lets you run your own ladder for any game you want??

We had 2 tds working on their own round robin site....that just died it never happened....and so on and so on.
No matter what happens...people get bored and no matter what you offer....they get tired of it after a while.
Shaz{uk}
Hustler
Hustler

Post by Shaz{uk} »

There is a quota with being a t.d., its supposed to be 1 a week but as the t.d. performance shows thats not the case, we need to make sure that when someone is offered a t.d. position they will take it seriously as some hav'nt, as for prizes that should be down to each t.d. to decide as some of us might not have the funds for that. I tried to schedule tourneys for the same nite each week & for a while it worked but then u get the odd tw@'s that moan about that so at the moment is not easy being a t.d. we are trying our best to offer tourneys but without the players its difficult.
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

I think you've been elected a TD 10 posts ago m8, read back :P
Congrats! So when's your first tourney?
:manure:
Sophisticated Beggar
hall Owner
hall Owner

I can't seem to get to page 2 on this thread. It says 'Topic Doesn't Exist'
See what happens after I make this post.

Edit. It's fine now
Tattooz
hall Owner
hall Owner

Post by Tattooz »

one thing you will find out after being a TD for a while is that u get alot of a$$holes giving u grief for their own amusement. Between dealing with this and DONATING my time ive done all i can do. Im not going to donate money just so some numpty can win it. If i could pick and choose who plays for a money prize that would be different but not fair. If another TD wants to do this that is entirely up to them. Id rather give my money for a new system.... But even that seems to not be happening at the moment. Basically im not giving away funds for a lost cause whether it be a new system or an a$$hole player
Nam[BE]
Banger
Banger

Post by Nam[BE] »

Shaz, Tattooz, Darkhorse and Freeball, 4 of the 5 active TDs posted in this thread to say they agreed. I guess they still have to give you the key of the house... :)
:manure: